Tuesday 11 November 2014

DIY Plastering

Hello,

Update on yesterday's post - I found out that my car is thankfully fixable. Thank god for that! I really don't know how I would function without my little Nemo!! It won't be ready until next week but yay it can come home :) I will take a few snap shots of it all new again.

So in celebration I didn't go shopping or baked some sweet treats (the usual suspects) instead I plastered! No not drink my self into a drunken stupor but actually plastered a wall, ha me! I know madness. I've never done it before so thought hey why not.

Background info - Me and the boyfriend recently bought our first house in the summer, but oh my does it need work doing to it. So far we have had it rewired, new boiler put in and brand new kitchen installed. Now all the big stuff has been completed it's our turn to decorate. So far it's going well just very slowly!

How to plaster for DIY Dummies
If I can do it, then so can anyone! Believe me.

-Firstly buy a bag of plaster, we went to B&Q and it cost around £5. Don't buy ready mix plaster as it's just a rip off. All it is plaster and water. That's it, it really isn't rocket science.
- Mix 0.5 litres of water per 1kg of plaster, although I started mixing it without measurements once I got confident in the consistency I needed.
-Then with a few plastering tools (again B&Q) you just start applying it to the wall. I managed to do it in small strokes. It reminded me of icing a cake, you need to get it all smooth and flat.
-It takes a day or so to dry then you can sand it down to make sure it's smooth and even. Then paint away on your new smooth wall.
That is it!! Ta Da.


I actually really enjoyed it, I like doing practical things and I am such a bargain hunter, so instead of paying a plasterer I just did it myself. We had to plaster over these few bits as there was some awful kitchen tiles there before and once we removed them the wall was just nasty behind. Don't get me wrong if it's a big job like an entire wall or a ceiling then you do need plasterers. For small simple jobs don't be afraid it really is fun and easy.

Any questions or further advice just comment!



Just another day in the life of a DIY 20 something






No comments:

Post a Comment